Saturday, October 6, 2007

Dangerous Ground

I'm venturing into dangerous territory now. I'm answering a medical question with bad news.

Weird bump on breast?

I have this strange bump on my nipple, right above it. It's been there for a long time, but i've ignored it. Lately, I've mashed it, and nasty liquidy stuff came out of it, and after it started bleeding. It's not out of my nipple though. Just the bump. I have no idea what it is though. You can squish under my nipple a little bit and feel this bump under it as well. It's like connected to that bump under my skin. I'm really afraid, does anyone have any idea what it could be? Thanks!


My reply is the most detailed one the question has received so far.

There are several options. The most likely is you have an infection. I would recommend getting to a doctor to have it looked at. The fact that it's been there a while means it's unlikely to be resolved just by lancing and draining it.

Inflections like this can also be the result of a growth in the breast tissue. Surrounding tissue is irritated and weakened by a growth which in turn causes infected sores like the one you describe.

It could also be a ruptured cyst.

While this could be a minor infection, it could also be a symptom of something life threatening. Please get to a doctor ASAP.


If any of my existing questions are going to get me banned, this is the most likely candidate. I used some graphic language, I said something "sad" and I used words that a third grader may not know.

No comments: